- A. Health Biotechnology
- Areas of activity
- Cell cultures
- Drug discovery
- Therapeutic areas
- Genetic and rare diseases
- Infectious diseases
- Central nervous system
- B. Agrifood Biotechnology
- Agriculture / veterinary / environmental
- Biologic control (plagues..) and bioestimulants of crops
- Animal health / Veterinary
- C. Industrial Biotechnology
- Waste valorisation
- D. Services
- R&D services
- CRO / CMO / SMO
- Professional services
- Training and spreading
Fundación MEDINA is a non-profit public-private partnership between Merck Sharp and Dohme de España S.A., the Junta de Andalucía and the University of Granada, to discover innovative compounds and therapies for unmet medical needs.
Research activities at MEDINA are focused on:
I.Discovery of new compounds and therapies as new leads for drug development.
II. Contract Research Services: High throughput screening services for lead discovery, ADME/TOX, bioanalysis and metabolomics
- New leads from microbial natural products in therapeutic areas with unmet medical needs.
- License of natural product libraries
- Drug discovery sreening platform
- Highly automated screening services, including High Content Imaging.
- Safety, adverse drug metabolism (ADME/TOX)and toxicity platform of drug candidates in development:
- Cardiotoxicity: ion channels assays (hERG, Cav1.2, Nav1.5)
- Drug metabolism assays(CYP inhibition and induction, drug stability and metabolite profiling)
- Genotoxicity (AMES Test)
- Turbidimetry and solubility
Off-target interactions(neurotransmisor receptors, PPARs)
- Bioanalysis and metabolomics (High resolution MS)
- Discovery of novel therapeutics from microbial natural products collections in: infectious diseases (including tuberculosis and parasitic diseases), oncology, immunoregulation and rare diseases.
- Study of potential cardiovascular and neuronal safety risks, and drug-drug interactions of new leads in early stages of the drug-discovery process.
- Metabolomic analysis and identification of metabolism biomarkers